Monday, April 7, 2008

Goudal's Hallucinations, Discuss!

Welcome to my debut! Or as they pronounce it on Degrassi, my day-boo!

The French film theorist Jean Goudal once referenced images in cinema to conscious hallucinations. I couldn't help but gravitate toward this phrase, as I do many quotations and thoughts within writing. This time, I must say, it was refreshing to hear someone describe cinema in a context other than the picture versus window scenario, as useful as that may be. This description hints at both the frame and the window, both fiction and reality, both the conscious and subconscious, which says much more than a simple dichotomy could ever imagine.

With this phrase as my jumping off point, I hope to investigate films and various media with a multifaceted perspective. Through my interests in identity politics and cultural studies along with film theory, history, and criticism, this blog aims to be more than simple movie reviews, but rather an analysis of the art form and its cultural and ideological significances. Enjoy!

"Neither a pea, nor a nut":
My Blueberry Nights
Killer of Sheep
Wristcutters: A Love Story

No comments: